22 kilometres south of Tel Aviv and 42 kilometres east of Jerusalem, lies Rehovot, the site of the Weizmann Institute. Rehovot was established in 1890 and its name is based on a quote from the Bible meaning “wide expanses“. Rehovot has been the twin city of Heidelberg since 1983.
Nowadays, Rehovot is a small town with about 110,000 inhibitants. As shown on its coat of arms, it is famous for its agriculture, especially of oranges. Furthermore, Rehovot is a place of research; a microscope and a book are also pictured on the emblem. Besides the Weizmann Institute, there are also two branches of the Jerusalem University: the agricultural and medical faculty.
We experienced Rehovot as a lively town coexisting in an agreeable symbiosis with the institute.